History of Westgate on Sea Cricket Club
WESTGATE-ON-SEA CRICKET CLUB
AN HISTORICAL ARTICLE BY COLIN & JEAN OSBORNE. (VICE-PRESIDENTS)
(RESEARCHED FROM LOCAL LIBRARY PAPER RECORDS)
WESTGATE C.C. BEGAN AS A CHURCH SIDE.
St. Saviours Church Westgate, once played an important role in the founding of the Westgate-on -Sea Cricket Club Way back in 1927- there were two Cricket Clubs running in the village. One was known as Westgate, which were composed of masters from the private schools in the District, and the other was the St. Saviours Club.
The Westgate organization played at Hawtrey’s during the summer term, while the church club could only play there during the summer holiday. This arrangement went on until 1937, when Westgate disbanded.
At the AGM meeting of the St. Saviour’s Club in March of that year, it was decided that they would be KNOWN AS WESTGATE-ON-SEA CRICKET CLUB. The annual subscription then was 5 shillings and 6 pence.
From then until the start of the WAR, the Club played on various school pitches. Even when cricket re-started in 1945, Westgate were obliged to play on Corporation pitches in Margate.
Not until Six year’s later, did Westgate have the exclusive use of Hawtrey’s Field, Westgate, renting the ground from the Kent County Council.
AN OUTLINE TO THE HISTORY OF EVENTS NEARLY 50 YEAR’S AGO.
This is an Historical outline of the actions taken by a determined Westgate Cricket Club Committee, fully supported by club members and the local community, to ensure Cricket was played at Hawtrey’s, with a new pavilion being built a few year’s later.
4 APRIL 1947
Margate Town Council has decided against the acquisition of Hawtrey’s playing field as a public recreation ground. The matter was given full consideration at a meeting of the council in Committee on Tuesday.
11 APRIL 1949
Westgate Cricket Club who play their matches at Hartsdown Park are to ask Margate Town Council to provide a sports ground in Westgate.
This was decided at the AGM of the club on Thursday last week, at which Mr. F.A.BURGESS presided. It was also decided to ask Westgate Chamber of Commerce to support their request.
17 JUNE 1949
CRICKET GROUND PLEA FAILS
In answer to a request by Westgate Cricket Club, Margate Town Council has indicated that it is unable to consider the provision of a cricket ground at Westgate at the present time.
31 MARCH 1950
HOMELESS CRICKETER’S --- WESTGATE WANTS A GROUND
Because Westgate Cricket Club wants to bring the game back to the town, a four man deputation from the club is to have an interview with the Chairman of Kent Education Committee, Alderman W.C. REDMAN, CA, Mayor of Margate, today, Friday.
At present the Club plays on Corporation pitches in Margate, but now wishes to use Hawtrey’s field Westgate, which is owned by the Kent Education Committee.
14 JULY 1950
WESTGATE FIND A HOME AT LAST
KCC GRANT USE OF HAWTREY’S
Tomorrow (Saturday) will be a great day for Westgate Cricket Club, for at long last they will be playing a home match at Westgate.
During post-war seasons, Westgate have had to play their home matches at Margate, sharing the corporation pitches at Hartsdown, Northdown and Dane Parks.
Representations were made to the Kent Education Committee which controls Hawtrey’s playing field at Westgate, and the Club sent delegates to press their claim for the use of the ground.
Now comes the good news that they can use Hawtrey’s for their first home fixture with Barham tomorrow. They are also hoping they will have the use of the ground regularly next season.
Westgate have sent an invitation to Alderman W.C. REDMAN, C.A, Chairman of Kent Education Committee to watch tomorrow’s game.
15 JULY 1950
WESTGATE WIN AT HOME
Westgate celebrated their first home game at Hawtrey’s on Saturday with a narrow win over Barham. The man they had to thank for victory was WHITTINGTON who took six Barham wickets at a cost of three runs apiece.
Westgate batting first had to fight for runs, but due mainly to SINGE’S 23 they were able to reach 88. Barham found the bowling of WHITTINGTON too much and were all out for 79.
3 JULY 1954
WESTGATE SET AN EXAMPLE
THEY BUILD PAVILION -- AND PLAN FIRST CLASS GROUND
Westgate Cricket Club are setting an example by making their own efforts to secure better playing pitches and improved facilities. They are going ahead with their plans to turn Hawtrey’s field into an additional first class cricket ground in Thanet.
A milestone was reached on Saturday when their pavilion was opened. This coupled with improvements to the pitch, has already made Hawtrey’s field a much more attractive playing proposition than it was a few seasons ago.
Westgate are not resting on their laurels after the great amount of work that has been done up to date. They propose to make the pitch one of the best in the area, and to provide further amenities at the pavilion, including the addition of a properly equipped canteen.
At the pavilion opening ceremony on Saturday the Club received the support of Chairman of the Kent Education Committee (Alderman W.C. REDMAN). The Club sub-lease the playing field from the Committee, and Alderman Redman made some encouraging remarks about the Club’s future tenancy.
A big crowd watched the ceremony performed by Alderman Redman, which was welcomed by the Club’s President (Mr. T.E.GULLICK.) Westgate were playing Herne Bay and Alderman REDMAN was introduced to the teams by skippers A.FOAD of Westgate and A TURNER of Herne Bay.
Westgate were in high spirits and defeated their visitors by 18 runs after an exciting match.
The new pavilion which is their own property has cost the club £200 and they have to bear all the maintenance expenses. No help has been received from the Kent Education Committee. A Pavilion Fund to help meet expenses has been opened.
3 JULY 1954
WESTGATE WERE INSPIRED
Westgate celebrated the official opening of their new pavilion at Hawtrey’s field on Saturday with a great win over Herne Bay by 18 runs. Westgate owed their success to some splendid bowling by GORDON SANDWELL and HARRY OSBORNE, who received excellent support from the field.
Herne bay looked all set for a win with only 62 runs to get, but the home side pinned them down and they were all out for 43.
Batting first Westgate were soon in trouble losing 3 wickets for 9 runs. MAURICE HAWKINS (15) and NORMAN BURGESS (11) then came together and made a stand which proved to be of real value to their side, bringing the score up to 39 before HAWKINS was dismissed trying to force the pace. This started another collapse and the innings closed at 61. Mr. Extra’s contributing 19.
Victory seemed certain for Herne Bay, but inspired bowling by SANDWELL who took 6 for 23, in 18 overs including 10 maidens and OSBORNE who captured 4 for 18, in 18 overs and also bowled 10 maidens.
H. MOYSE (15 n.o.) was the only batsman to offer any resistance. SANDWELL and OSBORNE bowled unchanged. FRED BELLCHAMBERS was in good form behind the stumps.
This brief summary demonstrates the vision and vitality our former members held in their beliefs to obtain a ground and a new pavilion.
The Club needs to make history repeat itself, in it’s endeavor to have the 1954 pavilion brought up to modern day standards. The Club Chairman MARTIN ARNOLD and the Committee, along with all members are making every effort to make this a reality.
Although the first Lottery application was unsuccessful, this has not dented the determination of the Committee to drive forward with a second application. I am sure our former members would be proud of all the hard work that is being undertaken to provide better Cricket Facilities at Westgate, for both Senior and Junior teams.
A successful Lottery application will also benefit the St. Saviour’s School sports teams and the PTA events, which will encourage the local community to attend events.
Westgate Cricket Club more than ever needs to replace the 1954 pavilion which has seen so many enjoyable sporting occasions over the last 46 years.
JEAN & COLIN OSBORNE.